This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PerfectionWithPost #CerealAnytime #CollectiveBias
Strawberry Glazed Cereal Doughnuts, classic yeast doughnuts dipped in sinful strawberry glaze and garnished with a fun cereal topping!
Who doesn’t love cereal? What about doughnuts?? What about an epic cereal doughnut?!
Yes, inspired by those insanely over the top doughnuts that have been taking up your insta feed, I present to you my version: Strawberry Glazed Cereal Doughnuts!!
*Cue intense dramatic superhero movie music now*
Light and fluffy yeast doughnuts fried to golden brown perfection. Topped with an addictive fresh strawberry glaze with crunchy Shredded Wheat Frosted Mixed Berry crumbled on top!
You come here looking for elevated recipes and I believe I have done that for you here. My work here is done.
Hmmm, not quite so fast!
Okay, let’s start at the very beginning. In a galaxy far far away, okay… or more like at my local Walmart, I saw something new. Something exciting. Something I’ve never seen before!
Shredded Wheat, in general, is very nostalgic to me. My Aunt always had it at her house and I loved eating it for breakfast! But, this mixed berry version is even better!
I know, I went a little over board and picked up a box of Cinnamon Pebbles and Shredded Wheat Frosted Cinnamon Roll, too! I just couldn’t help myself.
Cereal isn’t just for breakfast anymore. Yes, I combined two breakfast staples in today’s post. But, let’s get real you can have these cereal doughnuts for an afternoon snack or dessert too!
- 2 packets dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water (105 -115 degrees
- 1½ cup whole milk, scalded and cooled to room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 5½ cups of all purpose flour plus more for dusting
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 4 tablespoons fresh strawberry puree (about 5 strawberries blended with immersion blender until smooth)
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- Shredded Wheat Frosted Mixed Berry Cereal, crumbled for garnish
- In a stand mixer, add the yeast and the water, stir to dissolve yeast. Add in the cooled milk, sugar, kosher salt, eggs, butter and two cups of the flour. On low speed, stir until combined and smooth, scrapping the sides as needed. About 2 minutes
- Add in the remaining flour a little at a time, scrapping down the sides between additions. Mix on medium speed until combined. Dough will be loose but thicker than a batter consistency. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Turn out dough onto a clean, floured work surface. Taking half of the dough at a time, gently kneaded dough a few times, coating the outside in flour. Using a rolling pin, roll out to ½ inch thick. Use a doughnut cutter or a large cookie cutter and cut out circles, use a smaller cutter to cut out the doughnut holes. Place on a baking sheet and cover with a clean towel. Allow to rise again until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Fry doughnuts in batches in oil heated to 350 degrees. Cook for about 1 minute on each side until golden brown.
- Immediately place hot doughnuts into glaze (recipe below) right out of the oil. Coat with glaze on all sides. Sit doughnuts on a wired rack to let excess glaze drip off.
- Pour more glaze on top of each doughnut. Garnish with Shredded Wheat Frosted Mixed Berry Cereal. Top with more glaze, enjoy!
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth with no lumps in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
Here is a quick video I filmed of the process:
Want to know a little cheat? If you don’t have time to make the yeast doughnuts, don’t worry! Just use store bought canned biscuit dough, cut out little holes in the center and proceed with the frying instructions in my recipe. So easy and still so yummmmm!
Cereal definitely isn’t just for milk and breakfast anymore! What fun ways do you use cereal outside of breakfast?
For more yummy recipe inspiration check out Post’s Pinterest page!
Available for preorder now:
Order My Cookbook!
Available for preorder now: