Today I am sharing a recipe for one of my favorite zucchini noodle dishes, Zucchini Noodle Primavera! I thought since Primavera was already a dish loaded with veggies, why not just take it to the next level! And you know what, it’s even better than the original if I do say so myself!
I was inspired to start trying out some smart swaps after I saw these SmartMade™ meals in the freezer section at various grocery stores.
SmartMade™ is a range of nutritious frozen meals that are balanced and delicious, based on smart cooking methods like grilled proteins and roasted vegetables.
Just like SmartMade™ meals, my Zucchini Noodle Primavera is loaded with the good stuff!
- 2 medium zucchini, spiraled
- 1 medium yellow squash, spiraled
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ¼ medium red onion, julienne
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, sliced thinly on the bias
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoon all-purpose flour
- splash dry white wine
- ¼ cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- 10 basil leaves
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Place zucchini and squash on doubled-up paper towels, sprinkle lightly with salt and let sit 10 minutes. Use more towels to soak up the liquid that comes from the veggies, I will even ring them out with additional towels if there is a lot of liquid. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the zucchini and squash to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, tossing often. Take out of pan and place on a plate. Set aside.
- Add another 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat in the same pan. Add in the onion and carrot, cook until the onion is translucent about 4 minutes. Add in the broccoli, 2 tablespoons of water, cover and let steam over medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes until bright green. Take out of the pan, add to plate with the zucchini.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add in the flour and stir into the butter, cook for 30 seconds. Add the white wine, stock, milk, and cheese. Stir until combined. Add the veggies back to the pan and using tongs, toss veggies in the sauce. Add in the frozen peas, stir in. Tear in the basil, stir and allow to wilt, taste and adjust seasoning, serve.
This recipe goes by extremely fast, make sure you have all your ingredients ready before starting!
So, what do you think? Will you try this smart swap??
If you like this recipe, then I know you will love the variety of options from SmartMade™. Remember to look for them the next time you are at your local grocery store in the freezer section!
Available for preorder now:
Order My Cookbook!
Available for preorder now: