Strawberry Tea Sandwiches, homemade fresh strawberry cream cheese spread on top of simple white bread with sliced strawberries. Perfect for tea-time!
When I thought up today’s simple recipe, I thought these little sandwiches would be so fun to have at an after-school tea time treat! But, after tasting them they will be just as good for grown-ups too!
Ever since the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Science contacted me about helping them spread the awareness of childhood obesity I have really stopped to think about healthy alternatives to for fun after-school snacks.
I think I have really captured that here in today’s recipe for strawberry tea sandwiches!
Here is a quote from Anne Matthews, an assistant professor in Food Science and Human Nutrition at UF’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences: “Preventing obesity and its health consequences is achieved through long-term adoption of health behaviors such as being physically active, eating a healthful diet, rich in fruits and vegetables.”
Even at play-time a healthier alternative snack like the recipe I have here can help to stear little ones in the right direction!
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 strawberries, stems removed
- 2 teaspoons honey
- white bread, crusts removed
- sliced strawberries, stems removed
- Mash the cream cheese with the back of a fork until smooth. On a separate plate, mash the strawberries with the back of a fork. Add them to the cream cheese with the honey. Stir until combined.
- Smear the strawberry cream cheese on top of the white bread, add strawberry slices.
A simple, easy snack perfect for a tea party!
What has worked for you to get your children to eat well?
Here are some more points to consider about childhood obesity:
- Ways to avoid childhood obesity and other obesity-related problems:
- Increase lifelong physical activity
- Increase lifelong healthy eating
- Decrease total screen time (TV, video games, etc)
- Position fruit/veggies in a more fun, exciting and engaging way so that children will choose healthy options over unhealthy snacks.
Available for preorder now:
Order My Cookbook!
Available for preorder now:
For more than 100 years, the UF/IFAS Extension Service has helped improve the lives of Florida’s citizens through research, education, and the application of practical knowledge to solving everyday problems. Since 1914, when Extension was established, our faculty and staff have helped people save water and money, improve agricultural practices, promote healthy lifestyles, protect the environment, cultivate civic engagement, foster economic development, and prepare strong and capable youth for a vibrant and productive adulthood.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of UF/IFAS. The opinions and text are all mine.