Tomato, Cucumber and Onion Salad, bright, refreshing and perfect for summer!
I have always loved these types of salads. They are acidic, slightly sweet and so crisp!
This tomato, cucumber and onion salad just screams summer to me. It is the perfect side to any menu. Also, it is great on it’s own as a snack or even added into a larger salad with greens.
That’s how I have been eating it for lunch later, in a large salad with romaine and other goodies. The best part, you don’t even need any other dressing, the brightness from it is enough.
Yum! I used grape tomatoes for this, I really think small tomatoes work best for these salads. They hold up a lot better than dicing a steak or roma tomato.
- 1 Cup Apple CIder Vinegar
- ½ Cup ice water (fill ½ cup measure with ice, then add water to fill)
- ½ Cup granulated sugar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber
- ¼ red onion
- kosher salt to taste
- Place vinegar and sugar in a small sauce pot. Bring to simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved, set aside. Add in garlic and ice water.
- Cut tomatoes in half length wise and place in large bowl.
- Using a mandolin (or thinly slice by hand) slice the cucumber and onion. Place in bowl with tomatoes, mix together.
- Add vinegar mixture and place in refrigerator for at least an hour. Stirring every 20 minutes or so. Serve and enjoy!
That’s it! Amazingly easy.
This is pretty acidic as these salads tend to be, it is almost as if the veggies are being pickled. I love it, personally. I think the sugar balances it out well.
However, if you find it too harsh, add some more water or use just half of the vinegar.
Thanks for stopping by!