Christmas Tree Meringue Cookies

2 of 2
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Christmas Tree Meringue Cookies, fun and festive meringue cookies that are light as air and melt in your mouth! Super cute for your holiday party! - ThisSillyGirlsLife.com

It’s the last week of the Christmas series and I wanted to end it with a bang! Aren’t these Christmas Tree Meringue Cookies the cutest?!

Dusting them with powdered sugar made it look like it snows… it’s so cute Imma die! Seriously though, eeek! LOL, I know, I’m a weirdo but I just can’t help it. These meringue cookies are so flippin easy and delicious! I used almond extract for mine but you can substitute any flavor your love!

This recipe is adapted from Cake & Allie.

Christmas Tree Meringue Cookies

Ingredients
  • 4 egg whites at room temp
  • 1 Cup granulated sugar
  • pinch cream of tartar
  • ⅛ tsp almond extract
  • green gel food coloring
  • multi color sprinkles
  • star sprinkles
  • frosting of your choice
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 200 degrees. Place egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in a bowl of your stand mixer. Place bowl over boiling water on the stove. Whisk vigorously until sugar dissolved and there are no more sugar granules visible. Remove from heat and whisk in extract.
  2. Using the whisk attachment on stand mixer, mix on medium high until egg whites become bright white but still runny. Add in food coloring to the color you want and continue to beat to form stiff peaks.
  3. Place mixture into piping bag with large star tip. Pipe cookies onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat. Make cookies about 1 inch in width, 2 inches high and place 1 inch apart on baking sheet. Sprinkle with the multi color sprinkles.
  4. Cook for 2 hours. After 2 hours, turn off oven, open door slightly and let sit in oven an additional 2 hours.
  5. Place the star sprinkles on top with a tiny dab of frosting. Serve and enjoy!

Step by Step Directions

a1

a2

a3

Place the star sprinkles on top with a tiny dab of frosting. Serve and enjoy!

This was my first time making meringues and they came out perfectly! They are sooo easy, you can do it too! Check back next week because December will be jam packed with more treats!

Don’t forget to check out Parrish’s post for Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cake:

Dark_Chocolate_Peppermint_Cake

If you liked this recipe, please check out these others by clicking on the images:

blueberry_cheesecake_bites

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bon Bons. Edible chocolate chip cookie dough in a shell of crisp milk chocolate. So addictive!

Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting. Easy to make with clear step by step instructions, oh and these are delicious!!

**This post may contain affiliate links to products I use or are similar to items mentioned in this post. If you purchase a product from a link used, This Silly Girl's Kitchen will receive a small commission. Thank you for helping to support this website and keep the recipes and information provided free to you!**

For more yummy inspiration make sure to follow my food board on Pinterest!

Christmas Tree Meringue Cookies

• frosting of your choice
Instructions

2 of 2
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Julie says:
    November 25, 2014

These are adorable! We often make meringues for special occasions but I’ve never tried this. I can see these gracing our table this year!

Ramona says:
    November 26, 2014

OMG! These are soooo adorable! I might try them!! <3

November 28, 2014

OMGoodness! Those are way too cute! ALMOST too cute to eat! 🙂 Stopping by from Moonlight & Mason Jars! 🙂

November 28, 2014

These are so cute! Pinning for later! Thanks for linking at Wake Up Wednesday!!

Tamara says:
    November 28, 2014

Those are sweet. I want to try them! Thank you.
    Tamara

Emily says:
    November 29, 2014

My family makes meringues every Christmas. Who knew you could make them even more festive?

Lucie Palka says:
    November 29, 2014

These little trees are really cute. My creations often fall under the Pintrest Fail category. I hope they are as easy as you say!

November 29, 2014

Those meringues are too cute! My friend at work is always making meringues- I am going to share with her! She would love to do this for her kids at Christmas.

November 30, 2014

Oh how cute! Those little meringue trees came out so well. You did a really phenomenal job!

December 2, 2014

These are absolutely ADORABLE! Pinning immediately! Thank you for linking up at the Found and Foraged linky party Dana! We hope to see you again! AND just a heads up, we are partying one day early this week (Friday 8PM CT) because because InLinkz is doing maintenance right when our party normally goes live on Saturday. So for one week only, the day is changing.

Madonna says:
    December 2, 2014

Very creative and a great way to use up those egg whites.

Madonna

Jann Olson says:
    December 2, 2014

These are so darn cute! Pinned. Hopped over from Savvy Southern Style.
    hugs,
    Jann

Sue Adams says:
      December 14, 2015

Never work with meringue can you give me the recipe those trees are awesome also what the star is made from thank you so much s

December 15, 2015

For the recipe, click on the image that says “Click Here to continue reading”

Christie says:
    December 3, 2014

Those are gorgeous!! We used to make meringue cookies every year for Christmas. I honestly may have to make these this year. They’re adorbs! Pinning!

Cheri says:
    December 3, 2014

I am making the meringue and the red velvet ones this week! I can’t waiT

December 3, 2014

Yay! You are going to love them both, let us know how they come out!

December 4, 2014

These are brilliant.
    Going to put them on my Christmas baking to do list (thinking they’ll be great to take to church on Christmas eve).

December 4, 2014

Hi, Dana, I’m Louise Douglas, a new cohost for the wakeup Wednesday Linky. I have to say your Christmas tree meringue cookies looks amazing! They look so amazing that I shared it on my Pinterest board and started following you there. Have a great day Dana.

Nicole says:
    December 4, 2014

I’m so glad you linked these up to Let’s Get Real because they are PERFECT for a cookie exchange I’m hosting in a couple days! One question- I don’t have a nice stand mixer- just a cheapo version so I don’t have a whisk attachment. Do you think it will work with just the regular beaters?

December 4, 2014

Yes it will still work, just have to beat the heck out of it for the stiff peaks!

18. These are adorable! I’ve been making meringue mushrooms for years, but these are so much cuter. Definitely going into the cookie swap this season!

December 5, 2014

Yes, indeed these are the cutest things ever! I bet they taste scrumptious too!

Thanks so much for sharing this post at Show Me Saturday! I can’t wait to see what you linkup this weekend!

Merry Christmas!
    ~ Ashley

Jennie says:
    December 6, 2014

Oh, I love meringue cookies! These are darling! 🙂

Giana says:
    December 18, 2014

Hi!! I don’t know if I’m crazy blind, but I cannot for the life of me see how much the yield is?

December 18, 2014

You’re not blind! I forgot to add it in. It makes 24-30 depending on size. I will update it now!

Giana says:
        December 18, 2014

Awesome!!! Thanks so much!! I’m excited to see how these turn out!

Jessica says:
    December 20, 2014

They are in the oven now! I’m no artist but I think they are adorable. I’m very excited. The only change I had to do was chill the bowl and whisk. Heating it first was not allowing a true stiff whip for me.

Can’t wait to try some of your other recipes!

Lara says:
    December 20, 2014

I’d love it if you’d explain the choice to basically…cook the egg whites? Why do you heat them with the sugar?! That really confused me, and I’m probably just going to use my meringue recipe and your decorating tips because of it. Super cute, however.

December 20, 2014

Thanks! Honestly, I have no idea why. This was my first time making meringues as I said in the post. I just followed the recipe from Cake & Allie that I linked to and put my own little twist on it. Wish I could be more help. 🙂

Kylie says:
    December 26, 2014

Ugh I tried this recipe and it came out horribly. Either I did something wrong or this recipe wasn’t that good. I was so excited to make them for Christmas and it was just bad 🙁

December 26, 2014

What was bad about them I’m interested to know.

Kylie says:
        December 29, 2014

After following all the steps my mix wasn’t holding. Like when I tried to make the trees they just fell into a big puddle of green. I cooked it anyway but they didn’t taste good, had to throw them away :/

December 29, 2014

Sorry to hear that, I’m thinking the mix had to be mixed a lot more to stiff peaks like I had in the picture. I really hate to hear it! But, I really appreciate the feedback!

Kylie says:
    December 31, 2014

You’re welcome! I’ll probably try them again soon 🙂

andrea says:
    November 24, 2015

The are amazing! Can I make them if I dont have a stand mixer?

November 25, 2015

You can, but it will take much longer.

Heather says:
    November 29, 2015

These look really cute! Wondering if you can freeze them? Looking for Christmas cookie ideas that I can freeze ahead of time. Thanks for sharing!

November 29, 2015

Hmm, no I don’t think these would freeze well, thanks though!

Sandi says:
    December 6, 2015

Can these be made a couple of days ahead of time?

December 6, 2015

Yes, store in an air tight container. I would say don’t make them any more than two days ahead.

Jo says:
    December 9, 2015

What temperature should the oven be? Cooking for 2 hours seem really long… how to ensure it does not burn?

Mandy says:
    December 9, 2015

What type of tip did you use for the piping bag?

Jennifer says:
    December 10, 2015

I am trying these next Friday for our Saturday holiday party. I do not have a stand mixer but have a whisk attachment for my hand mixer – I hope that works. I am super nervous.

Linda says:
    December 13, 2015

I made these this evening to take on a cookie tray to my Uncle’s nursing home. They are adorable!! I’m going to make them again for our family Christmas gathering. They’re sure to be a big hit!! They were so easy and turned out great!! I followed your directions to the “T”. Perfect!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Julia says:
    December 13, 2015

I’ve not made these particular meringues yet (I will soon…they’re so cute) but I’ve certainly made others, and the only times I’ve not had success is when you make them on a humid or rainy day. The meringue will never get still enough.

Ashlee says:
    December 20, 2015

Would you be able to swap out the almond extract with vanilla instead? And if so would it still be good?

December 20, 2015

Most definitely! Still delicious 🙂

Megan says:
    December 21, 2015

Do you need the cream of tartar? I have everything else on hand and dont want to go to the stores this close to christmas

December 21, 2015

Yes it is very important, it keeps the egg whites stabilized. During baking, they will probably fall. So sorry!

Sharyn says:
    November 19, 2016

Question about the meringue tree when do you sprinkle the powdered sugar on them ….before they’re baked or when they’re done to make that snow effect

November 19, 2016

After they are baked and cooled. I’d even wait until just before serving if on a buffet. Thanks!