Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Shells with Pesto Sauce are sure to become a family favorite recipe!
Hi everyone! Julie from White Lights on Wednesday back again this month with a yummy, comforting dinner the whole family will love. These shells make take a little extra effort, but the taste it totally worth it. I made this batch with a pesto Alfredo sauce, but these shells would be totally awesome with red sauce too. YUM!!
I’m a sucker for Italian food. It’s one of my favorite comfort foods. Maybe it’s just the pasta and pizza addict in me. I mean just look at these Fried Tortellini and Pizza alla Vodka! However, my husband is not the biggest fan of ricotta. *sigh* But astoundingly he had nothing to say but good things about these shells. I did stretch the ricotta with some sour cream for a little tang, and the mozzarella in the stuffing helps keep everything a little extra cheese. Get your pasta on with some stuffed shells!
- 20 jumbo pasta shells
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divded
- 1 – 14.5 ounce jar Roasted Garlic Parmesan Alfredo sauce (or 1¾ cups your favorite Alfredo sauce)
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta shells, and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain, and rinse under cold water until cool enough to handle.
- Cook chicken in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board, and cut into small (diced) pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together ricotta cheese and sour cream. Add basil, parsley, and nutmeg, stir to combine. Add chicken and half the mozzarella cheese to the ricotta mixture. Mix until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together Alfredo sauce and pesto. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of sauce in the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish, and spread evenly.
- Once pasta is cooled, gently open shells and spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture into each shell, until it’s nice and full but still able to close. Place filled shell in the prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining pasta and chicken mixture.
- Top shells with remaining sauce and then sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. If you like that golden brown cheese look, you can broil the pasta on HIGH for a few minutes once it’s done baking.
- Carefully remove the pasta from the oven and serve warm.