This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are 100% my own. #ZoursFace #CollectiveBias
I love cupcakes. Okay, I love pretty much all sweets: candy, cakes, sweet tea, pies, you name it! Candy is a special love of mine and sour candies are my favorite! The best movie snacks to me are chewy sweet and sour candies like Mike and Ike Zours. My Dad is also a HUGE candy fan, like seriously… huge. When we get together on a visit or vacation we have to run to the nearest Walmart or gas station to pick up our favorites and I can’t wait to have him try Zours! I was inspired by these colorful candies to bring together two of my favorite things: cupcakes and sour candies with these sweet and sour cupcakes!
Sweet and Sour Cupcakes
Aren’t they just so cute?! Fun and colorful vanilla cupcakes, topped with light and fluffy vanilla buttercream and garnished with Zours! So delicious, the best of both worlds, sweet and sour!
I knew instantly when I saw the Zours packaging at my local Walmart that I had to make these colorful cupcakes. Like seriously, how fun are they? Looks like the circus to me!
These cupcakes are soooo easy to make too. The hardest part is coloring the cake mix, which isn’t too hard at all!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 Cup water
- ⅓ Cup vegetable oil
- food coloring (I used gel food coloring for more vibrancy)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 Cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbls milks or water
- Zours for garnish
- Preheat oven to directions on back of cake mix packaging. Mix the eggs, oil, 1 Cup water and cake mix until smooth on medium speed about 2 minutes with hand mixer.
- Divide the cake batter into 5 separate bowls. It makes about 5 perfect cups of batter. Using food coloring, color each bowl according to the colors of the Zours. I kept each one of the Zours out to try and match the color as close as I could.
- Each color makes 3 cupcakes, with a touch of each batter left over. Bake according to directions on back of cake mix box. Let cool on wired rack completely.
- While cakes are cooking and cooling, make the frosting. Cream the butter and slowly add in the powdered sugar until combined. Add in the vanilla and 1½ Tbls milk/water and whip on medium speed for 3 minutes until light and fluffy with hand mixer. If mix is a little thicker than you would like, add remaining ½ Tbls of liquid. Mix again until fully incorporated.
- Frost cupcakes and garnish with Zours of the same color. Serve and enjoy!
Step by Step Directions
I just love how pretty them came out! What do you think? These would definitely be a show stopper at your kids Birthday or rainbow themed party! AND, kids love sour candies too. I remember when I was little it was a competition between my cousin and I, how many sour candies we could put in our mouth at once before spitting them out. Thinking back on that, it wasn’t probably too safe, huh? LOL, that’s kids for ya!
I really wanted to highlight the candy colors, I thought they were such pretty colors already. Do you think I matched them good enough?
I tried really hard, but my favorite part of course was getting to eat them!
I do love my job! The cake is so super moist and always comes out perfect, that’s why I love using cake mixes. You know a short cut every now and then won’t hurt!
I hope you enjoyed my colorful sweet and sour cupcakes. Don’t forget to pick up a box of Mike and Ike Zours the next time you have movie night at home or are craving some cupcakes!
Connect with Mike and Ike online: