Italian Cheese Scalloped Zucchini
Hi there! It’s Shannon from Cozy Country Living! I hope you are having a great summer. This past week my garden has been growing like crazy! I love coming into the house with handfuls and baskets full of fresh fruits and vegetables. There’s nothing like growing your own food. If you grow zucchini like I do, you know how plentiful it can be. Every single day this week I have picked zucchini and it doesn’t look like there is any end in sight. As long as I have a bunch of great zucchini recipes on hand, I will just keep on picking, cooking and baking with my wonderful harvest!
The other afternoon, I was contemplating what to make for dinner. I had a meal planned, but I didn’t feel like it. I felt like using up some of the zucchini I had sitting on my kitchen counter. I’ll admit, my family’s favorite way to use zucchini is in muffins or bread. It’s sweet, moist and just delicious. I wanted to incorporate this great vegetable into our dinners though. Zucchini and cheese…hmm…I figured I couldn’t go wrong here!
This Italian Cheese Scalloped Zucchini is a wonderful way to use some of the fresh zucchini from your garden.
A generous amount of shredded Italian Blend Cheese is melted into a creamy sauce, poured over layers of fresh, sliced zucchini (I added a summer squash too!) and topped again with grated cheese and baked until bubbly.
Want those beautiful, dark , crisp and blistered cheese spots on top of this dish? Simply place the casserole dish under the broiler for a few minutes! Yum!
I like to serve this Cheesy Scalloped Zucchini with pasta covered in tomato sauce and a fresh salad. It’s a really simple dinner any night of the week and can be on your table in a half an hour or so!
Do you have zucchini coming out of your ears? What’s your favorite way to use it?
- 3 large zucchini ( or 2 with 1 yellow squash)
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Italian Blend Cheese, divided
- garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking or casserole dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Slice your zucchini into ¼ inch slices, they don’t have to be perfect:)
- Layer the bottom of the casserole dish with half of the sliced zucchini.
- Season the layer of zucchini with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter on low, then add the flour.
- Whisk together until incorporated and golden brown.
- Slowly add the milk and continue whisking until smooth and thickened.
- When it’s smooth, add 1 cup of the cheese and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pour half of the cheese sauce across the first layer of zucchini.
- Place the remaining zucchini on top of the sauce and make your second layer.
- Season that layer well with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Cover with remaining sauce and top with the other 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- To get those nice golden brown spots on the cheese, place the zucchini under the broiler for a few minutes, but watch closely being careful to not let it burn.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm. Enjoy!
You May Also Enjoy These Recipes:
Connect with Shannon here: