Woo hoo! I am so excited to share today’s post with you! I’m really proud of this one, it came out exactly how I imagined… I love when that happens! Jeremy and I love love love red velvet everything. I have made a couple recipes already using it like this one, and this one. And since it’s the 4th of July series right now, I just knew I had to make another red velvet dish! Because you know… obvious reason. Have you ever had a brownie sandwich cookie? OMGeee, you are sooo missing out! Make this now, then thank me later!
Patriotic Brownie Sandwich Cookies
So, what exactly are these amazing looking treats you must be wondering! Well, it’s a red velvet cake mix brownie, cream cheese frosting and topped with a blue velvet cake mix brownie! Yesss!
They are so yummy, soft and chewy brownies with the best frosting you’ve ever made… seriously. AND very easy, I must add! Recipe for brownies adapted from Cookies and Cups.
- 1 box blue velvet cake mix
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ Cup milk
- ½ Cup oil
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix blue cake mix with 1 egg, ⅓ Cup milk and ¼ Cup oil until combined, should resemble cookie dough. Mix red cake mix with 1 egg, ⅓ Cup milk and ¼ Cup oil until combined, should resemble cookie dough.
- Spread each different color dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet to ½ inch thick. Bake red velvet brownies for 15-18 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Bake blue velvet 10-13 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool on wired rack until completely cooled. Using a medium star cookie cutter, cut out star shapes. Try to get them as close together as possible, you should be able to get 15 stars from each color. Cut dough with cutter, wiggle cutter to loosen brownie from bottom of pan. Brownie should lift off with cutter, carefully place brownie on wired rack or surface of you choice until ready to frost.
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter. Add in the vanilla and ½ Cup of the powdered sugar in at a time until fully incorporated. Whip frosting until light and fluffy about 3-5 minutes.
- Frost one of the brownies cook side down, you want the pretty crinkled side up. Top with the opposite color brownie.
- Serve and enjoy!
Step by Step Directions
Aren’t they just so cute?! They would be perfect at your 4th of July cookout! Or, anytime really! You could even mix up the colors if you wanted. There are so many different cake mixed out there now, or color a white cake mix to match your teams colors!
They are rich if you eat more than one, a big glass of milk pairs perfectly!
I’d like to add a little tip about the blue velvet brownies. For some reason, this mix wasn’t as easy to spread as the red velvet was. So, I took a spatula, sprayed it with cooking spray and use that to form the dough, it was very easy after that!
So what do you think, will you be trying this recipe out? If you do, please come back and leave a comment below, I LOVE to hear your feedback!
Make sure to check out Parrish’s series recipe for this week, she made this amazing Patriotic Funfetti Angel Food Cake!
Check out our previous 4th of July recipes below:
Available for preorder now:
Order My Cookbook!
Available for preorder now: