Hi everyone! Are you in the Patriotic spirit yet?! I certainly am, I am loving all these amazing fun dishes I keep seeing to serve through the summer and especially on the 4th of July! We are huge fans of doughnuts around here and when I finally got tins to make baked doughnuts at home I just had to try it out. These mini baked doughnuts are made with cake mix so they are super easy and fun. The funetti dip though, I have to say is my favorite part of this dish! It is a light as air buttercream frosting that is a little thinner than a cake or cupcake frosting, which makes it perfect for dipping. Mixing in cute festive sprinkles brings it together as a dessert the whole family will love!
Mini Baked Doughnuts with Funfetti Dip
The base for the doughnuts is the same cake mix I used for my Patriotic strawberry cupcakes, I adapted the recipe from Tastes of Lizzy T (don’t you just love her blog?? swoon.). I love that the cake mix has jell-o in it which gives it a slight tartness, a perfect combo with the sweet funfetti dip!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 oz strawberry jello
- 4 egg whites
- ⅓ Cup vegetable oil
- ½ Cup water
- ½ Cup strawberry puree, about 6 strawberries, tops removed and pureed in blender
- 20 drops red food coloring
- powdered sugar for garnish
- 3 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 4 Tbls milk (or water)
- 1½ tsp red sprinkles (or any color you wish)
- 1½ tsp blue sprinkles (or any color you wish
- additional sprinkles for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix together cake mix, jello, oil, ½ cup water and egg whites with hand mixer on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Scrap the sides of the bowl, add in the strawberry puree and food coloring. Mix until combined.
- Spoon small amount of batter into mini doughnut tin about ⅔ of the way up. Wipe off excess on sides of mold. Bake for 7-8 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool in tin on wired rack for 5 minutes, take out doughnuts and place on wires rack to cool completely. Store in air tight container until ready to serve, before serving sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cream together the butter and powdered sugar in a large bowl with hand mixer. Add in the vanilla and milk, whip until light and fluffy about 3 minutes. Add in the sprinkles and mix again just until combined.
- Serve with mini baked doughnuts or dippers of your choice (pretzels, apple slices, graham crackers, etc.) Sprinkle on additional sprinkles for garnish if desired.
Step by Step Directions
Eek, I just love how cute and festive these turned out. And might I add delicious??
I have to warn you, they are addicting and before you know it you’ve eaten two doughnuts worth, lol! So, what do you think? are these worthy of your next cookout or 4th of July menu??
Don’t forget to check out Parrish’s 4th of July themed recipe for 4th of July Bark!
Past 4th of July series themed recipes: