Summer is heeeere! Woot woot! That means I get to bombard you with all things summah time! And, what a more perfect post than these adorable beach ball sugar cookies?! Now, let me bet the first to say these are NOT perfect cookies, I realize that. BUT, can you believe these are the first batch of decorated sugar cookies I have ever made?! Now, in that aspect I am pretty proud of myself! Read on to see my first sugar cookie decorating adventure!
Beach Ball Sugar Cookies
So, like many people, I get on these kicks. I get so totally obsessed with something that I just have to try it and won’t be satisfied until I have mastered it. When I realized I wanted to start try to decorate sugar cookies I kind of went all out. I got a bunch of supplies and dove right in, These beach balls were my first batch and yes, I was a little disappointed at first, for some reason I think I should be able to perfect everything the first time. As you know, that is definitely not the case! But, looking back on it, I’m actually pretty impressed! They are pretty easy to but having a steady hand I think will be key!
When I stumbled upon The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle’s blog that’s when the obsession began. I will not stop until I am this good. And, guess what?! You will be coming along for the ride! I can’t promise how often a new “cookie journey post will go up but I thought it would be fun to keep you guys updated and I can show you my step by step process to different designs. What do you think, would you be interested in keeping up to date with me??
- 2 sticks butter, unsalted, softened
- 1½ Cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ - 2¾ Cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream together the sugar and butter until mixed. Ad in the egg and extract. Mix to combine. In a separate bowl, sift the remaining ingredients (using only 2½ cups of flour). Little by little, add in the dry mixture until combined. Dough should be thick and not wet. If it seems too lose, add in the remaining flour.
- Let dough sit in fridge for about 30 minutes then, roll it out to ¼ inch thick, use more flour for dusting. Cut out the shape you prefer and place on baking sheet. Bake for 7-8 minutes, the cookies are done if they start to turn a very light golden brown on the edges.
- Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to wired rack to cool completely. Decorate and enjoy!
Step by Step Directions
The hardest part of these cookies was getting the royal icing to the right consistency. I’m not sure I have it down just yet but I think I’m getting there!
This post is a part of the #CreatizeBuzz themed monthly posts! This month’s theme was the beach! Make sure to check out the other amazing bloggers work below:
DIY Faux Coral ~ All Things With Purpose
Rope Anchor Coaster ~ Made to be a Momma
Shell Specimen Art ~ One Krieger Chick
Custom Beach Pail Gift Idea ~ 733 Blog
Swimsuit Coverup Tutorial ~ Sugar Bee Crafts
Beach Ball Sugar Cookies ~ This Silly Girls Life