Are you geared up for Memorial Day like I am? I just love this holiday in particular because it is a little escape from everyday life, where we honor those that serve to help America be where it is today! I really wanted to make a special treat that had the flavors of summer and the colors of the American flag! Fresh strawberry puree is mixed in with jello and cake mix for a sweet and tart cupcakes. Topped with extra fluffy vanilla buttercream studded with fun red and blue sprinkles make a homemade funfetti frosting!
Patriotic Strawberry Cupcakes with Funfetti Frosting
Aren’t they just so cute?! I made some easy candy toppers for them too, just for a little extra somethin’!
Strawberry cupcakes recipe adapted from Tastes of Lizzy T.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 oz strawberry jello
- 4 egg whites
- ⅓ Cup vegetable oil
- ½ Cup water
- ½ Cup strawberry puree, about 6 strawberries, tops removed and pureed in blender
- 20 drops red food coloring
- 3 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter, unsalted, room temp
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ Tbls milk or water
- 1½ tsp blue sprinkles
- 1½ tsp red sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix together cake mix, jello, oil, ½ cup water and egg whites with hand mixer on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Scrap the sides of the bowl, add in the strawberry puree and food coloring. Mix until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔ of the way full and bake for 17-19 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Place cupcakes tin on wired rack and let cool 5 minutes. Transfer cakes to wire rack and let cool completely.
- While cakes cool, make the frosting by creaming together the butter and powdered sugar. Add in the vanilla and milk. Whip until light and fluffy about 3 minutes. Add in the sprinkles and mix again until combined.
- Top cupcakes with frosting and additional sprinkles if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
Step by Step Directions
So, what do you think? Are these patriotic enough for ya?!
Eeeek, I just love these cupcakes liners I found, it really brings it all together! The cakes are so light, fluffy and moist they are definitely my go to strawberry cupcakes from now on! They are slightly tart too from the jello, yum!
What’s your go-to red, white and blue dessert?
I have teamed up with a group of amazing bloggers from different genres to bring you this month’s #CreativeBuzz themed post! Check out their red, white and blue renditions below!
Order My Cookbook!
Available for preorder now: