Monterey Chicken {Copycat Recipe}

Woo hoo! It’s time for another grilling recipe! I’m super pumped to share today’s recipe because it’s a copycat, I got to grill; so easy clean up AND it came out way better than I imagined it would. So, yea you’re really in for a treat today! Every time we go out to Chili’s (which is about every 3-4 months, we have one a couple miles from our house so it’s pretty convenient.) Jeremy gets the Monterey Chicken and it’s always great. I love the combination of bacon, cheese and bbq sauce. I’ve made it at home a couple times in the oven but taking it out on the grill is where it’s at!

Monterey Chicken {Copycat Recipe}

Monterey Chicken {Copycat Recipe}, grilled chicken basted in Honey BBQ sauce and piled high with bacon and melty cheese!

It’s insane how easy this is to whip up as well! One trick I have to making a successful dinner while grilling is to take your sides, everything out to the grill with you! I was boiling away some potatoes for some garlic mash while cooking the chicken. That way you don’t have to keep running back inside to check the stove, easy!

• Pages:
  • 1
  • 2

Virginia says:
    May 13, 2014

That chicken sounds delicious! I think my family will love it. Thanks for the recipe. Pinning.

Julie says:
    May 13, 2014

Oh good grief, that looks amazing! I am just waiting for our dinner to finish cooking it looks so boring compares to this!

May 14, 2014

This is great, my 3 favourite things, chicken, bacon and cheese. Thanks for sharing on Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop.

May 14, 2014

One of my husbands favorites! I can’t wait to make this I am so glad it is grilling season!

May 15, 2014

My husband and I love Chili’s too and have ordered this in the past and enjoyed it. So, I am going to try your copycat hopefully very soon for us. Thanks for sharing at the Pin It Hop once again today :)

Becky says:
    May 15, 2014

Goodness gracious, this looks so good. You had me at bacon! lol

Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes says:
    May 16, 2014

This is one of our favorite summer grilling recipes!! Pinned!

May 16, 2014

I used to get this all the time at Chilis! Will need my husband to fire up the grill later to try! Thanks for sharing.

Joyce says:
    May 16, 2014

Looks delicious!!! Stopping by from Let’s get real link up party!

May 16, 2014

Ooo I love Chili’s Monterey Chicken! Thank you for sharing on Foodie Friday. I needed an excuse to go grill again.

11. Dana,
    I absolutely LOVE your pictures. Everyone I just sigh! This chicken looks and sounds great.
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

Marti says:
    May 17, 2014

This looks mouthwatering!! Thank you for sharing it with us. Pinning to the party board. Have a great weekend! :)

May 17, 2014

Dana, thank you so much fro sharing this gorgeous chicken with us at Treasure Box Tuesday!! I am sharing on Facebook this morning! ♥

Emily says:
    May 17, 2014

that chicken looks amazing! thank you so much for linking up to Create Link Inspire! I just wanted to let you know that I’m featuring your recipe today in a Chicken Recipes post. I’ve shared it all over my social media and tagged you where I could. I would really appreciate any reshares! Have a great weekend! Emily@nap-timecreations

Gina says:
    May 18, 2014

I think we would be dangerous in the kitchen together. This is totally something I would make – YUM! Think of all the amazing things we could come up with together. :)

May 18, 2014

Oh man, that would be so much fun! Although we would probably gain 20ish pounds… lol!

Dee says:
    May 19, 2014

This looks fantastic! I’ll keep this in mind for the next time we grill chicken! :)

Elizabeth says:
    May 23, 2014

Thank you! I have a similar recipe only I call it Western Chicken. It always makes my mouth water! Love it. Thanks for posting and that tomato and corn salad looks yum!!

Ashley says:
    April 24, 2015

I want to make this tonight! It looks so yummy. What if I don’t have a grill though? Any alternatives to cooking it?

April 24, 2015

You can definitely bake it easily! Just put on the bbq sauce about 5 minutes before the chicken is cooked through, still yummy!

Tim in TN says:
    May 3, 2015

Made this tonight. Awesome. I brined the chicken first and sprinkled fresh avocado and tomato with the bacon over the top. It was a surefire hit. Thank you. Will become part of our summer grilling rotation.

May 3, 2015

Ugh, that sounds amazing! So glad it came out good, I love the additions. :)

June 21, 2015

This looks so good! Yum!! I have a copycat recipes cook book that I purchased on QVC years ago, this has inspired me to get it out and see what all I can make. Pinning!

Mary Gilbert says:
    June 24, 2015

This is what I order EVERY time I go to Chili’s!
    Thanks for sharing on Your Whim’s Wednesday

Karly says:
    June 28, 2015

This needs to go on the dinner menu this week! Thanks for linking up with What’s Cookin’ Wednesday!

June 29, 2015

Dana, this is wonderful! I am featuring it tonight at Treasure Box Tuesday- thank you for linking up with us! :)

July 2, 2015

This looks so delicious! I am pinning this and will be making this sometime this summer for sure! I am always looking for new chicken recipes! I would love it if you would stop by and share this or one of your other fantastic recipes at my new link party at: Celebrate it Sunday!

Alissa says:
    September 9, 2015

So excited to try this recipe – I’m making it tonight! We don’t have a grill so we’re using the oven. What temp should I set the oven to, and how long should I leave it in? Do I need to flip the chicken? Such a newbie in the kitchen!

September 9, 2015

Sorry I didn’t read this until now. I hope it came out good! I would set the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the chicken until it hits a temperature of 155 degrees, then add the bbq sauce. The chicken is done when internal temp is 165 degrees on the chicken. I’m not exactly sure how long it would need to bake for. It depends on the size of the chicken pieces. You do not need to turn them, but you can if you want. Then, finish then with the bacon and cheese in the oven just for a minute or so until the cheese melts. Hope this helps!