Hi there! Okay, now I know I’m suppose to be on a “diet”, but I just can’t help myself from making these delicious treats, okay?! Get off my back already, geez! But no, seriously I just can’t help myself. I’ve decided it’s just a part of my life and therefore it has to be a part of yours. All in moderation, right? Right. Good, now that we have that settled, let’s get on to this insanely yummy banana bread! Ugh…. take it in:
Chocolate Chunk Vanilla Banana Bread
Yummy, this is shockingly my first ever banana bread, and dare I say the BEST one I ever tasted?! No, seriously even Jeremy agreed. It is sooo moist, the banana really stands out with the chocolate just adding an extra pop. Then the thick vanilla glaze on top just brings it all together! You could most certainly have this for breakfast, a snack or dessert like we did every night. It is sooo good! This recipe is adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction, her blog is ah-mazing!
- 2 Cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1 Stick butter, unsalted softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ Cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp
- ⅓ Cup sour cream
- 1 Cup chocolate chunks
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbls butter, melted
- 2 Tbls water
- Chocolate Chips for garnish, optional
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. For this recipe I made my own chocolate chunks by chopping up some Hershey's kisses! Feel free to use bagged chocolate chunks or chocolate chips.
- Cream together the brown sugar and butter for about 3 minutes in a stand mixer or with hand mixer. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating them into the mixture. Add the sour cream, bananas and vanilla, beat for 1 minute. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Using a large spoon or spatula, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, leaving about 1 Tbls of the dry ingredients in the bowl. Mix until no flour pockets remain but do not over mix. Add in the chocolate chunks that have been tossed in the remaining flour mixture. Stir mixture until just combined.
- Spoon batter into 8x5 loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 60-65 minutes, loosely covering the bread at the 30 minute mark with foil. This will make sure the bread doesn't get too dark. Bread is done when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Take bread out of oven and let cool for 20 minutes on wired rack. Remove bread from pan and let cool completely.
- While bread is cooling, make the vanilla glaze. Melt the butter in microwave safe bowl, add in the vanilla, powdered sugar and water. Stir to combine.
- When bread is completely cool, pour glaze over the top of the bread and let it run down the sides, make sure you have a pan underneath to catch any excess glaze. Garnish with chocolate chips, serve and enjoy!
Step by Step Directions
I love this and especially when it is still a touch warm on the inside and the chocolate is melty, oh yes! I stored it in the fridge and we would have a slice every night after dinner, I would pop the slices in the microwave for about 15 seconds and it was just perfection! Give this one a try, you won’t regret it!
What’s your all time favorite banana bread??
More breakfast/snack/dessert recipes 😉 :