It’s the last week in February (can you believe it?!) and that means the last chicken series post is coming at ya! Today’s dish is something fun to whip up now that some parts of the country is getting warmer. Here in Florida it has been up and down and last week we had a couple gorgeous days in a row. We took full advantage of it and busted out the grill! I really hope you enjoy this recipe!
Tex Mex Grilled Chicken Rice Bowl
I marinated a couple chicken breasts in the same marinade I used in my Best Chicken Tacos, made homemade Spanish rice with it and topped it with my favorites! SO simple!
- Spanish Rice:
- 2 Cups water
- 1 Cup rice
- 1 Tbls butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, cut in 4ths
- ⅛ cup cilantro, rough chop
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp lime juice, fresh squeezed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rice bowl assembly:
- ½ -1 chicken breast per bowl, sliced
- Any mix of toppings your prefer, cheese, cilantro chopped, scallions, tortilla chips, lime wedges
- In a pot over medium heat, add in the butter and garlic. Cook until fragrant about 30 seconds, add in the tomatoes and saute for a minute. Add in the rice and cilantro and let fry in the fat, about 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- While the rice is cooking in the pan, get another pot out and add the water, tomato paste, oregano, paprika, cumin, lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir to combine, let come to a boil and add to the pot with the rice. Bring the temperature down to low heat and cook, covered for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- To assemble the rice bowls, add in about 4th of the cooked rice or as much as you prefer. Top with the sliced grilled chicken and toppings. I used fresh squeezed lime, cilantro, scallions, tomatoes, taco sauce and sour cream that I mixed with a little sriracha. Serve and enjoy!
Step by Step Directions
See, easy peasy! You could of course have the Spanish rice as a side anytime you want as well, it’s super YUM!
Past chicken series recipes:
For more yummy inspiration make sure to follow my food board on Pinterest!