It’s no secret I live in Florida. And, being a Floridian (or FlorIDIOT as my Dad likes to say, *eye roll*) we have been seeing a large fluctuation in climate lately. One day it’s rainy, one day it’s in the low 40’s (hey! That’s cold to us, aight?!) and other days it is just GORGEOUS. Like today… jealous? Hehehe, sorry guys I am just loving this! Yesterday started off a little rainy but in the afternoon the sun was shining, birds were chirping! Ahhh, just like I like it! So, I knew I wanted to have an extra special lunch for us today! I ran out to Walmart, it’s super close to my house and I shop there all the time anyways and grabbed everything I needed for a mini Summer cook out! YAY, and here is what I made us for lunch:
Mexican Style Hot Dogs with Spicy Tomato Onion Relish
YUMMY! So, while at Walmart I grabbed everything I needed to make this fun dish including these main items:
All the items are scattered throughout the store but luckily I took pictures for you so you could easily find them yourself! The Hebrew National hot dogs are on the top shelf by all the other hot dogs (if you’re a shorty like me, you will appreciate this information, just sayin’), the Pam is in the baking section, Rotel took me a little while to find, it is in the same aisle as tomato sauce and Hunt’s Ketchup by all the condiments!
See, easy peasy! Now slap on some shorts, your shades, turn that radio to your favorite station and you’re ready to get grilling!
- Spicy Tomato Onion Relish:
- 1 yellow onion, cut into ¼ inch rings, skins removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 oz can Rotel, mild
- ¼ Cup Cilantro, rough chop, packed
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- PAM cooking spray
- For the Mexican Style Hot Dogs:
- 1 packaged Hebrew National Hot Dogs, 100% Beef
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Cilantro, rough chop
- Hot Dog Buns
- For the Relish:
- Begin by sauteing onions over medium heat in a medium sized pan that was sprayed with PAM cooking spray. Cook until slightly browned and soft. Chop the cilantro. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add in the Rotel and remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered on a simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
- Cover and continue simmering for an additional 20 minutes so all the flavors can come together. Serve as a condiment to many dishes!
- If you are making the Mexican Style Hot Dogs, stop at the point of reducing the liquid by half. Bring the pan and everything to the grill when cooking the hot dogs. Let this sit directly on the grates, covered under low heat. It will be done when the hot dogs are done cooking.
- For the Hot Dogs:
- Clean your grill grates and get them super hot. Lightly coat the grill in Pam cooking spray. Cook hot dogs all the way through, to the done-ness you prefer on the outside.
- Serve with the relish, cheese, sour cream and cilantro on top. Enjoy!
Step by Step Directions
YUM! These extra fancy hot dogs were a huge hit! And of course I served the Hunt’s ketchup for picky eaters along with my kicked up Rotel sauce!
The cheese addition is just the perfect somethin’ something’ for a gooey, melty Summer cookout! I love how the Rotel already comes with a ton of flavor from the green chiles. I really really love green chiles and the mild is a great light burn, not over the top. I also saw they offer Rotel already seasoned for chili recipes, how cool is that?! I’m going to try adding it next time I make a huge batch of chili.
And the Pam, I mean come on who doesn’t love using this product? It is a MUST for baking but I bet you didn’t know you could use it while grilling too! Now, for beginners I really suggest spraying the Pam onto a clean rag or kitchen towel, using a pair of tongs and brushing this all over the grates. You don’t want those yummy Hebrew National hot dogs sticking now do you?? Speaking of Hebrew National, these hot dogs are really high quality, 100% beef. I like knowing that even though I’m splurging a little on an American staple, they are still made with quality ingredients. Ahh, I love the smell of grilling hot dogs on a Sunny afternoon:
Eeeek, see how gorgeous it is outside?! I loves it!
Grilling Quick Tips
Did you know all of the items mentioned in this post are by ConAgra foods?! They have so many different brands and they really produce great quality products. Without the help of them I wouldn’t have been able to put together this amazing afternoon Summer cookout! Watch out beach, here we come!