I really hope you’re not getting burned out on desserts. Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and I know you have a bunch of ideas in your head of a treat to make your sweetie. I shared my vanilla bean cheesecake with fresh strawberry sauce recipe last week which would be a perfect ending to any Valentine’s meal. BUT, today’s treats are a little more fun and cute!
Cherry Limeade Cupcakes
This classic pairing of cherry and lime for the well known drink is just so yummy together! This is a maraschino cherry cake with lime whipped frosting. UGH, so good! These are definitely the best cupcakes I have ever made. The frosting is not overly sweet due to the shot of lime juice. You will definitely want to make these for more than just a special occasion!
- Maraschino Cherry Cake:
- 10 oz jar maraschino cherries
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- ½ Cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- Whipped Lime Frosting:
- ½ stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbls fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 8 oz whipped topping (cool whip)
- Preheat oven to directions on back of cake mix.
- Take cherries out of jar, reserving liquid. Remove stems and pat dry with a paper towel. Rough chop so you get small and larger chunks. Set aside.
- Reserve about 1 Tbls of the cake mix powder. Mix cake mix with oil, eggs and the reserved cherry liquid mixed with water to equal 1 Cup. Beat mix according to directions on back of box.
- Sprinkle the 1 Tbls of cake mix powder on to the chopped cherries. Mix until cherries are lightly coated. Add this to the bowl and fold in the chunks. Doing this will help the cherry pieces to stay suspended in the mix and not sink to the bottom of the cupcakes.
- Place mix in cupcake wrappers in cupcake tray. Bake to the instructions on back of box.
- While cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
- Whip butter until fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar in batches until fully mixed.
- Add in the lime juice and zest and mix.
- Add about ⅓ of the container of cool whip and whisk until incorporated. Fold in the remaining cool whip to form a light and fluffy frosting. Set aside in fridge.
- When cupcakes are done baking, place on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Take cupcakes out of time and place on wire rack until completely cool.
- Frost cupcakes with whipped lime frosting, top with a cherry and more lime zest if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you don't plan on eating all of the cupcakes right away, you will need to store them along with any leftover frosting in the fridge. Due to the cool whip, it cannot sit out.
YUMMMM, see that’s not too hard!
Do you think your sweetie will enjoy these little cuties?! Mine sure did!
What about you? What are some of your favorite flavor combos??
Looking for more yummy inspiration? Make sure to follow my food board on Pinterest!