It’s that time of year! I’m not big on pumpkin but I looooove peppermint!! In steps these decadent layered peppermint gooey butter cakes, YUM! Ugh, I am such a sucker for Christmas treats so you’ll be seeing a lot from me over the next weeks, I hope you’re ready!
Layered Peppermint Gooey Butter Cake
This recipe was adapted from KevinandAmanda.com
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 lbs or 3⅓ cups unsifted powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp peppermint extract
- red food coloring
- Pre heat oven to 300 degrees. Mix the cake mix, melted butter and one egg until you get a soft cookie dough consistency. I used my electric hand mixer.
- Press this mix into a well greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix the remaining ingredients expect for the food coloring with the electric hand mixer until a smooth consistency. Pour half of the mix over the cake mix in the pan. Try and spread this out as evenly as possible with the back of a spoon.
- Now, using a few drops at a time of the food coloring, dye the rest of the cream cheese mixture to the color you want. I used about 9 drops for this pink. Spread this over the top of the white mixture.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until a slightly golden crust is formed on top. Let this cool completely on top of a wire rack. You MUST let this set for at least 4 hours or so. Otherwise the cream cheese mix on top will be all oozey and won't cut into bars just right. TRUST ME.
- After they have set, cut into small bars. They are extremely rich, serve with a glass of milk!
Step by Step Instructions
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! What’s your favorite Christmas treat?
Until next time,